Monday, November 20, 2006

 

A mysterious case of an Hard Drive stopping.

I built an external hard drive based on the FireWire/USB enclosure form CompUSA.



After powering on the hard drive, it use to crash after few minutes. The case used to get too hot to touch. I removed the case and observed that, though the external skin of the case is aluminum the internal is plastic. There was no way to absorb the heat from the hard drive and dissipate, the hard drive used to get too hot and stop. I used aluminum foil to couple the hard drive to external aluminum skin as shown in the photo.




I smeared heat sink compound over the aluminum foil which will now absorb
the heat away from the hard drive.



I have used this external drive from past 2 years without any problem

Labels:


Comments:
its really interesting, thanks for the information
suresh
 
Thanks Suresh
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?